Monday, January 25, 2016

Tennis ball



     Nursing homes are usually not somewhere I want to be.  They are filled with confused stinky old people. Disappointment all around.  Except  for this one nursing home.  The one in which takes care of Mildred Cleona Binder Rosell. I would volunteer to live in it if that was an option. That woman laughs and cracks jokes, changing the mood as soon as she wheels into the room.  She is constantly turning every situation into a positive one.  You can hear her smile in her voice. 90 years old and still as cute as ever. She had 11 kids, 5 girls and 6 girls. It must have been hard to have so many but i'm so glad that she did, because my dad is the youngest son, number 10. I couldn't live without him, literally. 
My grandma lived here in Springfield when I was younger. I didn't think about it much at the time, but I took her presence for granted. She lives in Washington state and I'm still stuck here in Missouri. Once in a blue moon I get to visit her and the last time I saw her I had gone to Walmart to buy some tennis balls to juggle. She has had too many eye surgeries to count and can hardly see, but somehow she could see the tennis balls flying around. Now every time I talk to her she asks if I'm still tossing balls around. And then she tells me about all the gossip she overheard at the nurses station. She always tells me that if I don't become a nurse she will come back and haunt me dies. That won't be so bad though. 

1 comment:

  1. I like how you point out that her haunting you wouldn't be such a bad thing...I'd love to have a visit from my grandparents every now and then! Seems like you got your fun-loving spirit from her and that she has been a light in your life. Hope you get to visit her again soon. Thanks, Megan.

    ReplyDelete